Volume 16, Issue 91 (2019)                   FSCT 2019, 16(91): 243-256 | Back to browse issues page

XML Persian Abstract Print


Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Vaziri A, Safekordi A A, shekarabi A, Shamlou S. Extending the shelf life of edible button mushroom (Agaricus bisporus) by edible coatings on the basis of natural polymers. FSCT 2019; 16 (91) :243-256
URL: http://fsct.modares.ac.ir/article-7-28314-en.html
1- Science and research university , a.vaziri@srbiau.ac.ir
2- Science and research university
3- Central tehran branch university
Abstract:   (5342 Views)
Abstract
In recent years, edible coatings have been extensively used for extension shelf life of fruits and vegetables. In this research, the effect of washing with citric acid (1%w/v) followed by coating with different concentrations of carboxymethyl cellulose (CMC;1, 1.5 and 2% (w/v)) in combination with ascorbic acid (AA; 1, 2 and 3% (w/v)) on postharvest quality of button mushrooms when stored at 4  for up to 15 days was studied. After treatment, mushrooms weight loss, soluble solid content, firmness, color, microbial and sensory quality were evaluated at 1, 4, 8, 12 and 15 days of storage. The result indicated that coating reduced weight loss and delayed changes of soluble solid content and color compared to uncoated control mushroom. Coatings had not remarkable effect on firmness of mushrooms. Sensory evaluation showed that the shelf life of mushrooms increased from 8 to 15 days. Washing with citric acid reduced total bacteria, yeast and mold counts. Among different coatings the combination of CMC 2% and AA 3% was more effective.  
Full-Text [PDF 1568 kb]   (2315 Downloads)    
Article Type: Original Research | Subject: Packing and all types of coatings in the food industry
Received: 2018/12/18 | Accepted: 2019/07/22 | Published: 2019/09/1

Add your comments about this article : Your username or Email:
CAPTCHA

Send email to the article author


Rights and permissions
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.